About Jean-Luc...

18:46 Sunday 10 October 2010

Nothing new this week, but I found this old interview of Julie Delpy for the Boston Phoenix, after the release of 2 days in Paris in August 2007 - where we learn, among other things, that Jean-Luc is Max, Julie Delpy's own cat.

Here are some extracts:


Is the cat named Jean-Luc because he looks like the director?
No, but I always thought it was funny, and I could imagine Marion would call her cat Jean-Luc because she likes Godard films.
The cat is terrific, though he doesn’t have a lot to work with.
He is terrific.

You still have him?
Yeah, he’s on the bed right now.

(...)

You’ve had experience with some of the top directors of the past 20
years. what have you learned from them?
Kieslowski was very supportive when I decided to go to film school in New York. I spent about a year meeting him quite regularly, talking about writing screenplays and moviemaking
and all that and how to make your films your own and no one else’s. Which is funny, because everyone’s comparing my film to Woody Allen’s. But I really didn’t mean to. I just am, unfortunately, neurotic, and I think it transpires throughout the film and comes out that way. I love Woody Allen; it’s not a bad
compliment, but I know it’s going to backlash on me eventually.

Well, Kieslowski is the Woody Allen of Polish filmmakers.
Which is a very different sense of humor. And Richard Linklater, not in the directing so much, but the fact that he let me write so much of Before Sunset and a lot of Before Sunrise as well, made me realize that I could write — because I had written before but had always been rejected. The fact that my writing was validated in Before Sunset.

2 comments:

  1. You have an interesting blog on Julie Delpy. I will have to return and peruse further. A bientot!

    Alexandre FABBRI

  2. Thanks a lot for your comment Alexandre... :)

    Cee

Post a Comment