She'll always have Paris...

15:00 Wednesday 8 September 2010


Furthermucker gives us a link to a 2007 interview of Julie Delpy in Mean Magazine, after the 2 days in Paris release:

Here are some interesting extracts:


Assuming you've had relationships with French men and American men...
Also German, Italian, Spanish...(laughs)


...How are French and American men different?
I wouldn't say there's a difference. I've been with an American guy who was very
open-minded and I've been with a very uptight American guy. I've been with very
uptight French men and very liberated French men. The only thing is that the
approach to relationships and family is slightly different in America, I would say.


How so?
Well, from my experience, the family is much heavier in Europe. Actually, in Latin countries like France, Italy, Spain, you don't really get rid of your family - ever. I feel like my American friends can kind of cut the ties. In France you don't cut the ties.


(...)

How do you enjoy living in LA?
There are certain things I really love about Los Angeles. For me, being in LA is very easy, peaceful. I lock myself in my room, I get to-good food. It's so simple. I love Paris and I love New York, but LA is good for me. It's like being away and writing. I write things that never get made, things that aren't good. But sometimes they do get made, like this film; and hopefully my next one. For me it's good to write for years; to learn to write in English.

What do you miss most about Paris?
I'm here five months a year, basically. A little more in LA, but a lot in Paris. You know what I miss ? I miss the stuff I put in the film: the cafés, the markets, the subway. I love the subway in Paris.

Ethan Hawke authored two novels. Do you see yourself writing books?
Well, you know what's funny? 2 days in Paris I started as a novel. After 50 pages, it's like: "Fuck it, I just wanna write a movie." I don't have the patience to write a novel. I've tried many times and every time I end up writing a screenplay. I think cinematographically - always.


(...)

Would you consider making a third film with Linklater and Hawke, to
complete a trilogy?
Maybe when we reach 42 or something; yeah, in a few years, or sooner. They all want to do it, but we want to find the right story. It took us years to do the second one.
2 days in Paris is a stranger-in-a-strange-land film. Do you have
favourite movies in that genre?
It's funny, because some people it's kind of a Woody Allen, the film? But I never actually watched Woody Allen films before. I mean, yes! I've seen all the Woody Allen films and actually love the early ones, like Bananas and All You Always Wanted to Know About Sex and Love and Death and stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I really wish to meet Julie, I guess there must be arranged some kind of meeting of people who blog about her.

    Sophie Golden

  2. Hi Sophie,

    I'm a new blogger, and so far I don't know of any meeting with her! I wish that could be true...:)

    I hope to see her one day, maybe when she'll be promoting Skylab in Paris (in the beginning of 2011?); I'll let you know if it's the case...

    Cee

Post a Comment