I've updated the Photo album with pictures from the 59th Berlin Festival photo call, where The Countess was first released in February 2009. You may remember that Ms Delpy had just given birth to her son, Leo, in January 2009.
From the press conference she held, Julie Delpy explained that:



“I wanted to [tell the story] more like a Greek tragedy instead of being a horror film, which is how this story is usually portrayed.” In telling the story, Delpy viewed the Countess as falling on both sides of the feminist ideal.



“In a way, [the film] is feminist but also non-feminist. I think that it isn’t ‘feminist’ to say women are perfect. There is no such thing as ‘everyone being great,’” said Delpy. “We’re all individuals. People say that if women ruled the world things would be perfect and I don’t think that’s true.”



Delpy also drew parallels with contemporary society’s hypnotic ifatuation with
youth and beauty through the film. “People with power [today] are also exposed. You see it in the entertainment industry with plastic surgery. Some people have a fear of losing youth and beauty. Some people associate that with losing power, and I think people are afraid of aging because they associate it with death - and yeah, I have that fear too.”



As with her promotion of “Two Days in Paris” two years ago, Delpy energetically answered journalist questions with a very comfortable command of English, launching into verbose explanations in both English and French intermittently,
even confessing that she is a bit highly strung.



“I’m hyper and psychotic and I have neuroses,” she said to moments of laughter. “Yet, I’m always tired, but I don’t sleep much. It’s terrible to live with me.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment